Thursday 29 December 2011

Scrap strips!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas - much, much better than ours!

Ours was a wash-out, with poor DH working from home all over the break - literally all over. He took 2 hours out for Christmas dinner, and another hour to call the family in the evening on the day itself but didn't stop work till about 1am. Then the 24-hour party next door kept us awake all that night. He has worked through most of his week off until today when we had a wonderful time at the WA Aquarium with Glad, and he didn't get a single "help me" phone call. Well, we'll just have to have another go at Christmas next year.

Back to crafting, when I made the green and purple Christmas card for my niece, I found myself staring at that rather beautiful Bo Bunny paper with all those different patterned stripes. A little germ of an idea was growing in my head, although it wasn't big enough to see the light of day yet. That didn't happen until I was reorganising my ribbon collection so that my new goodies fitted in, which meant moving a pile of paper and a couple of boxes containing strips which I'd been saving all year. I opened the boxes up and tipped out the strips all over my table. And suddenly the idea blossomed, right there in front of me.

3 days later, DH is still working from home, the dirty dishes are piling up and the house looks as if a dust bomb has exploded. But look what I made - 40 Christmas cards for next year! AND an empty box of strips for me to fill up again.

I used my $2 store star and flower (for the bows - good huh?!) punches as well as Fiskars threading water and and EK Success square punch. The greeting is Studio G, and Stickles features prominently. As usual!

Challenges:
Less Is More's "one word"
Simon Says Stamp's and Basic Grey's (there's a strip from the Bittersweet collection right there, and I've peppered practically all of those cards with Basic Grey scraps) "anything goes"
Bizzy Bec's "Christmas"



Isn't that just nutty, to have 40 cards for next year done just 4 days after Christmas? Haha! Maybe I'll find a craft fair to sell cards at when I'm back in the UK and have access to such things. I just love them, and I'm going to make a bunch more as my pile of scrap strips grows again, as of course it will.

11 comments:

Cat's sCrap said...

Hi Squirrel,

What a fabulous work ! Magnificent cards.Simple and clean style as I like ! Bravo !

Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz this week.

Hugs from France.
Catherine.

Jo Street said...

Wow thats organisation for you, and what a great way of using up scraps left over. These cards are great.
Jo x

Tam said...

sorry about Mr. Rosey's work. They stink! boo!!
Great card! Love how you did the pic on the stairs!

Chrissie said...

Brilliant idea, brilliant cards and brilliant that you have such a head start on next year's Christmas cards. Sorry that your holiday wasn't as you would have wished however.
Thanks so much and Happy New Year.
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Gwynn said...

I just LOVE those cards! They are beautiful and the use of strips is just great! I love it Rosie!

Karen Petitt said...

Fabulous - wonderful idea and a great way to use up all of our scraps Karen x

Jenni's Jems said...

Now that's what I call clever! and the cards are brilliant what a great idea for scraps! x

Mandi said...

Sorry to hear about your Christmas, do hope your husband rests!

Your card is fabulous, well done you on making so many ready for next year. My husband always suggests I carry on making whist we are in the mood for Christmas..NEver took him up on it mind lol

Thank so much
mandi
"Less is More"

Georgina said...

40 cards? I hate you! LOL No I don't really but 40 cards woman- you're on a role! They look awesome too - I am hoping for a tutorial too. My Christmas sucked too :( hey ho - (or ho ho ho) like you say there is always next year!! :) Happy new year my friend! xx

Gem said...

what a gorgeous creation! Thanks so much for joining in our Anything Goes challenge this time at Charisma! :) Gemma

AmethystCat said...

wow - love your cards! so many different looks with the scraps - super idea! congrats on being so far ahead for next year! I'm still trying to get this year's out the door (and they're three years late already - lol!)