Tuesday 10 February 2009

Baking day

I've been baking pumpkin slices for DH to take to work with him. They are just so yummy, and no sugar or fat in sight. Just cooked pumpkin, fruit'n'nuts, flour and baking powder, an egg and lots of spices. OK, I'll admit I do put a handful of chocolate chips in each batch, but you don't have to. They freeze beautifully and travel fairly well.

I also made some ghee. That's super easy. You just stick a couple of packets of butter into a saucepan on low heat, and let it melt and crackle away, and fill the kitchen with the scent of popcorn. When the crackling noise stops, the only bubbles are directly above the heat source and the scummy stuff on the top has turned golden, turn the heat off and let it cool in the pan. Once cooled, strain it and Bob's your uncle. I keep most of mine in the fridge except for one tub that lives out in the worktop, which stays less solid so we can spread it on bread instead of butter. It's healthier and DH prefers the taste.

After I'd pureed some more pears for the next batch of pumpkin slices, it was time to make the tea - easy cheat's tea of homemade mayonnaise (I'll post that recipe another day!) and smoked salmon on ghee-spread Ezekiel bread. MMMmmmmmmmmm.

And having spent all day in the kitchen, tomorrow I'll be doing some arting or crafting.

No comments: