Thursday 5 March 2009

The evil kiddie-scarer

I didn't know whether to laugh or be upset in the pool yesterday. I was the only person there, so I put my towel on a table on top of my keys, and got in the pool. After a few lengths, I turned at the "deep" end and saw a maid just strapping arm bands onto two yellow-haired pink-faced little girls dabbling around in the shallow end. The maid then dumped all her clobber down at the same table as my towel! Um, why? You have 20 empty tables to choose from all round the pool, and you have to pick mine?

I breast-stroked slowly back, watching to make sure she didn't touch my stuff. I was gradually aware of a look of alarm on the faces of the little girls as they watched this red face getting closer and closer to them through the water. I changed direction slightly so that I wouldn't be swimming straight at them, but they stood up and stared at me then ran back to the safety of the maid. Of course I then had to get out and go to "their" table to get my things. They stared at me as if I was Jaws himself. I felt awful!

No comments: