Monday 29 June 2009

101

Scrap Whispers Challenge #33 is to make a LO using no card-stock at all. I was a bit miffed when I saw this, as last week's gecko page had no card-stock either - it was a shame I couldn't enter that one twice!

But I had had something in mind for a patterned-paper-only LO ever since I found this rather beautiful rose petal paper. As soon as I saw it in the shop, I knew exactly which photo I wanted to use it with: this photo of my Mum talking with (er... make that listening to!) my great aunt when we visited them last autumn.

My great aunt will be 102 at the end of next month, and is the last of that generation in our family. She's got her telegram from the Queen, or whatever the modern day equivalent is, and she still runs rings around us all. Actually maybe that should read that she has us all running round in circles around her! She's a feisty, bossy old lady; sharp as a pin, with a good old-fashioned West Country turn of phrase which keeps us chuckling with delight, even while we mourn that she is amongst only a few left who still speak that way.

I got some little sponge applicators a while ago, and I never really played with them until now. I used my fancy corner punch to make a lacy edge for the photo mat, then sponged pale blue and magenta inks through the holes to make both an inked border for the mat, and a further pattern on the background paper. There is a card with some private journalling tucked behind the shaped mat, which can be pulled out of the top of the plastic page protector by its ribbon.

My great aunt is very much not a lacy, rose petal person, but somehow this backdrop works well.

1 comment:

Nancywithajones said...

wow 102! I bet she has alot of interesting stories to tell. I like the inking you did with the foam applicators. I bet she does keep you all in check hahaha but at 102 she has a right to huh? haha.
very nice page.